LIMS Application Developer Job Description (General Overview of the Role):
Develop and support LIMS ecosystem (Laboratory Information Management System) with a strong background in data analysis, programming skills and the ability to drive improvements. Job Responsibilities (Day to Day Activities of the Role):Primary Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Support existing LIMS subsystems, particularly testing and work request system. Deploy new versions as required, troubleshoot issues, recommend solutions, develop and test solutions. Build upon previous work to solve new and redefined business processes.
- Develop and support analytical instrument automation and data collection using existing applications developed in-house; new data collection applications are developed as necessary. Work with supervising chemists and/or laboratory technicians responsible for the instrumentation. Interface with network infrastructure group and trades to establish network connectivity to instrumentation and servers.
- Chemical Inventory: Support annual physical inventory and other periodic and on-demand inventories as requested by the business. Research, recommend, and develop new process/hardware/software to replace existing hand-held barcode scanning equipment. Work with the Safety, Health, and Environmental staff responsible for regulatory compliance to ensure inventory is compliant with all laws and regulations.
- Work with customers and computing staff on extracting ‘ rich-content’ (aka XY, XYÝ’) data from laboratory instruments, external sources, and data archives and translate to the standard format. Append rich-content data to existing results. Move and reshape data to database for use by researchers.
- Observe company safety guidelines
- Perform Security & Controls AND Change Management activities as per internal processes
- Document all processes and procedures as needed and share findings with peers
- Work with research staff, and outside vendors as needed to resolve issues, test solutions, and implement fixes
- Use established ticket tracking system to log requests, monitor progress, summarize problem resolution
- Support of IT Audit activities
- Technical Skills/Experience:
- A science degree (chemistry, engineering, biology or similar lab-oriented discipline) with programming experience, or a computer science degree with scientific/engineering industry background required.
- Minimum 5-10 years of relevant LIMS application development experience
- Advanced programming skills - MS Visual Studio Basic, Excel VBA macros, TFS
- Advanced database knowledge (SQL & Oracle) - defining, querying, stored procedures/packages, performance optimization, and troubleshooting
- Experience with MS Windows Communication Foundation, Windows Mobile Device Center, .NET Framework, and Windows OS concepts
Desired Skills or Experience:
- Work Ethic: Punctual, self-motivated with a positive attitude.
- Excellent written, communication, and listening skills with attention to detail.
- Customer Service Focus: Ability to handle challenging situations, and resolve issues in a personable manner.
- Ability to work independently to plan organize and execute work with limited direction, adaptability to time pressures and changing priorities.
- Ability to discuss technical issues with all levels of personnel.
- Desire to share knowledge and trains others on the team.
- Effective, remote problem solving; over-the-phone, via email, across time zones and cultures.
- Occasional availability during weekends and off-hours.
- Experience with lab instrument hardware and software is a plus (Thermo Fisher, Agilent, Bruker, Varian etc.)
- Familiarity with:
- Biovia (aka Symyx, Accelrys), Lab Vantage, Lab Ware, Sample Manager LIMS tools
- Data communication concepts such as RS-232 and TCP/IP used in instrument automation.
- NWA Quantity Analyst and core statistical concepts used to define data quality
- Windows CE
- Experience with UI and UX approach to application development